Sunday, April 12, 2009

white girl lost in miami

I keep oscillating between hopeful excitement, & doomed terror.
Example:  The night before my kid sister leaves (after spending twice as much on a rental car as initially expected, & plane tickets, & food for our apartment,) i panicked, realizing that i can either pay rent, or buy a car, not do both, as i'd expected.  I hysterically called my boyfriend in Kansas, sobbing about how i'd made a terrible mistake & what was i thinking & my roommate doesn't want me here & how will i make money & what am i going to do?!  Spitefully, when he said how bad he felt for not having money to send me, because he just wants to take care of me, i shouted about how if that were true, he would have taken care of me while i was home, & i never would have left in the first place.  It was a pretty traumatic phone call in general.
By the next afternoon, i felt leagues better.  I had decided that i can rough it without a car, all i need to worry about is getting a job.  As long as i can take care of myself, my roommate will be glad i am here.  Besides, this whole experience is good for me.
So, i dropped sister off at the airport in Fort Lauderdale & hop on US HWY 1, headed south to the Keys.  We'd rented a PT Cruiser, & i had the Cuban jams bumpin' through the stereo, i was feelin' pretty fly.  Suddenly, confusion starts creeping in as i realize i'm no longer on US1, & now am on Dixie HWY.  That's cool.  I recognize the name, it'll still get me there, i'm still headed south.  More confusion as i panic in the middle of a 6-way intersection, nearly causing an accident & realize that i'm no longer on any highway at all, just a southbound divided roadway. 
I'm not stupid, i know that this is the point where i buy a map, & effortlessly locate myself & my escape route.  However, i wasn't too trusting of these shady Miami gas stations, & decided to drive on until i found a nicer one.  Instead, everything keeps getting shadier & scarier until i am pretty certain that i'm in the dankest ghetto my Kansas ass has ever seen.  After about 45 minutes of driving cluelessly southbound, my facespace updates progressing from 'whee, driving in miami' to 'oh noes, lost in miami', text a girlfriend back home with instructions to 'google maps my ass outta here!'  She calls right as i'm stuck at a red light, crippled hobo on one side, angry youth on the opposite corner, effing ambulance rolling it's lights behind me, & some dummy stopped directly in front of me in the middle of the intersection.  Bless her sweet Nebraskan heart, I was on that freeway in ten minutes.  Which was nice, because it got me started on the four hour drive (which normally takes two hours) towards my new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment